Advanced Topics in EMDR Therapy
This training is designed for clinicians who have completed both levels of basic training in EMDR Therapy, and is not a substitute for an accredited EMDR training course. It is intended to extend your practice to work with complex trauma and dissociation, and both levels of basic EMDR training are a prerequisite.
In-Person Trainingwith Dr Catherine Hynes
Advanced Topics in EMDR Therapy: Extending your Practice to Work with Dissociation and Complex Trauma
Thursday 11th and Friday 12th November, 2021
in Perth (Salt Room, Ibis Perth)
Duration: 2 days (9am-5pm both days)
Cost: $595 per person (GST included)
Target Audience: EMDR Practitioners who have completed EMDR Basic Training and have prior experience with EMDR therapy, and are looking to feel more confident working with complex trauma and dissociation.
For further information: Download the Content Summary Flyer [PDF]
EMDR Therapy – Considerations for Complex Cases – FREE introductory video
In this talk that runs just over an hour, Catherine provides a detailed look at the adaptive information processing model and its therapeutic mechanics, demonstrating how to formulate complex cases with clarity. She takes a close look at common areas of confusion and stuck points for EMDR therapists, and introduces a framework for resolving these processing difficulties. In the training that follows, Catherine will address common challenges for EMDR Therapy practitioners, and present specific strategies to resolve these difficulties using case examples from her own work.
This training was offered in person at the Brisbane Harmony Centre on 19th October 2019. I am grateful to the participants for their helpful feedback, which has led me to modify and hopefully improve the content for this online version. For reasons of confidentiality, I have not included any videos of real therapy sessions in the online version, but this is part of my in-person training. Please contact me if you have a group of 10 or more and would like to discuss a presentation in person.
The online training course is available for purchase for $275 (including GST).
- Access to the online presentations
- PDFs of the slides
- Handouts for clients
- EMDR formulation sheet for therapists
- Full reference list
Catherine manages these orders herself, and endeavours to provide you with the workshop within 5 business days following receipt of your payment.
Pricing is for an individual, but group rates are possible, please contact Catherine to enquire about group discounts. An enormous amount of work goes into producing a training like this, so please don’t share content or access with another individual without making an arrangement with Catherine directly. Thank you for your understanding!
Workshop content & links to the videos
- Overview of the AIP model in broad neurobiological terms, linking it to action systems in the limbic system
- Detailed demonstrations of how to present neurobiological rationales for trauma therapy, EMDR Therapy, and resolving emotion phobia to your clients
- Demonstration of the Container exercise
- Brief overview of attachment and dissociation and their relevance to trauma therapy
- Assessment and formulation of dissociation for EMDR Therapy
- Demonstrations of how to present dissociation to clients
- Brief overview of some therapies that address dissociation
- Brief introduction to the treatment of dissociation
- New section on making an EMDR formulation
- Includes EMDR specific risk factors, attachment assessments and specifics of EMDR trauma themes
- Practice formulating 3 cases for EMDR Therapy
- This section addresses the most common question from new EMDR therapists in consultation: "How do you know when you have the right Negative Cognition?”
- Practice assessing for the three trauma themes in 3 cases
- Transcripts of real sessions determining the NC with commentary
- Resourcing considerations for each trauma theme
- Cognitive Interweaves as a means of bridging Maladaptive and Adaptive Information
- Review of each step of the standard protocol and special considerations for each step
- Comments on bilateral stimulation
- A close look at common challenges with the Phase 4, reprocessing
- Linking processing to formulation
- Roadmap to addressing processing problems and steps to take depending on the challenge you are facing
- Demonstration and/or of some adjunct protocols that are useful for resolving processing problems, including: Loving Eyes, CIPOS, Flash, Parts Work, Level of Urge to Avoid, Positive Affect Tolerance
- Overview of using the Progressive Approach to EMDR when the Standard Protocol is not possible
- Brief comments on the relevance of values work to EMDR Therapy with complex trauma
- Demonstration of an Inner Wisdom exercise to access values
- Comments on the self and values
- Concluding remarks